Stella Maris College, a Catholic institution of higher education for women is an autonomous college affiliated to the University of Madras and is partly residential. The College, which is under the direction of the Society of the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary, is a minority institution that provides university education in a Christian atmosphere for deserving students, especially those belonging to the Catholic community. Others are also admitted irrespective of caste and creed and their rights of conscience are respected. Besides, the College commits itself to serve the economically weak, socially underprivileged and needy students.
Beginning in a small one-storey building on August 15th, 1947, with an enrolment of 32 students, the college has at present over 3000 students housed in large buildings on the beautiful campus of "The Cloisters", Cathedral Road, Chennai.The college became autonomous in 1987 and has 13 undergraduate and 12 postgraduate programmes. Research programmes such as M.Phil and Ph.D and also postgraduate diploma courses are part of the academic curriculum.
With the introduction of the credit based system since 1997-98 the college is offering many new academic programmes encouraging interdisciplinary associations. Along with the management, a dynamic team of faculty drawn from the aided and self-financing sections contribute significantly to the fulfilment of the academic programmes.
Established in : 1947
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com.)
- Master of Commerce (M.Com.)
- Candidates who have passed the qualifying examination of 10+2 pattern, AISSC, DSSC – CBSE, New Delhi, ISC, CISE New Delhi are eligible to apply for undergraduate courses.
- Candidates who have successfully completed a Bachelor's Degree of the University of Madras or any other university or insitution recognised by the Madras University are eligible to apply for postgraduate courses.
- Application forms for admission to all Courses are issued by the Indian Overseas Bank, Stella Maris College Extension Counter on payment of the application fee in cash or by a bank draft in favour of the Principal, Stella Maris College, Chennai.
- (a) Provisionally selected candidates for any degree / postgraduate course will be called for a written test/ interview.
(b) Receipt of an interview card does not guarantee admission.
(c) Requests for deferring the date of interview will not be considered.
(d) No information will be sent to the candidates who have not been selected for the interview.
- Admission cards are valid only until the date specified therein. Admission cardholders must pay the prescribed fee together with the following certificates in original on or before the date indicated on the card. The name of the candidate and birth date should be identical on all original certificates. No correction or overwriting without proper authority is permitted.
- Computer Centre
- Writing Centre
- Anti Ragging Cell
- Students' Co-operative Stores
- The Bank
- Hostel Facilities
- Library and Book Bank
Stella Maris College
17, Cathedral Road
Chennai - 600 086
Telphone No : 044-2811 1987 / 2811 1951
Websites : http://www.stellamariscollege.org